General Info And Advise

Applying for your First license
To apply for a provisional license to drive a car, you must be 17 years old. You can apply up to three months before your 17th birthday. If you've a Disability Living Allowance you can get your provisional license at the age of 16.
How to apply?
You must fill in a driving license application form D1 and photo card application form D750.
You can get both of these forms from your local post office.
The cost for your first provisional license is £34 (online) or £43 (postal application).
You must send a passport-sized photo of yourself taken against a white background
with one of the following forms of identification:
Full Valid Current Passport
Birth Certificate
Certificate of Registry of Birth (Provided your name is present on the certificate)
Adoption certificate
ID Card issued by a member state of the European Commission/EEA
Travel Documents issued by the Home Office
Certificate of Naturalisation or Registration
Completed forms should be sent to the DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD
If you don't want to send your ID documents through the post,
you can use the Post Office Checking Service but it costs more.
This means that your documents are checked at the post office so you don't have to send them onto the DVLA.
You should get it within 3 weeks, or 15 working days.
If it hasn't arrived within that time, contact the DVLA by writing to:
DVLA, Swansea, SA6 7JL
Tel. 0870-240-0009
(Mon to Fri 8am - 8.30pm, Sat 8am - 5.30pm )
If you've impaired hearing and access to a minicom facility call 01792-782787 during the same hours

As a new driver you are more likely to have an accident in your first year after passing your test
than at any other time during your driving career.
Per mile of driving, the risk of an accident involving injury or even death is about seven times
greater for 17-20 year olds than those aged 40 or over.
Drivers under 21 are involved in 15% of all accident deaths.
New drivers make up just 10% of licence holders, but are involved in 29% of accidents.
There are a number of ways to keep costs as low as possible.
It is a good idea to insure yourself on a car with a small engine as this would minimise the potential damage you could do.
Make sure your car is not modified, again this will make you more attractive to insurance companies.
Explore the different types of insurances, for example- Fully comprehensive, Third party fire and theft and third party.
These are explained below.
  Take out a higher excess. This is the amount you have to pay before the insurance pays out.
For example you damage someones property and the cost of repair is £120 and your excess is £50,
then you pay £50 and the insurance pays £70.
Some companies are offering 10 month insurance policies which give a no claims discount at the end of the 10 months.
Needless to say this is subject to having made no claims.

Different types of insurance:
Third party:
This is the most basic insurance type, and is the minimum coverage that allows you to drive legally.
Any damage you do to someone or something (not yourself or your property) "third party" is covered. All policies retain this basic cover as their basis.
For a very small amount more you could upgrade to Third party fire and theft.

Third party fire and theft:
This is the same as third party yet it covers you for the theft of your vehicle and or loss by fire. It is more favorable as it protects your car (against fire and theft only) as well as other people and their property.
It is a cheaper way of building up a no claims bonus.
If you have a more expensive vehicle which you may not have the money to replace if you were unfortunate to have an accident
then Fully comprehensive may be better.

Fully comprehensive:
This is the ultimate in insurance which adds you and your car to the third party fire and theft.
If you write your car off it would be replaced at market value less any excess.
This is the most expensive insurance but well worth it if you have a high value vehicle.

Just one final word shop around as some insurance companies really do not want young drivers and this reflects in their prices.